Hey Paul McCallum, You’re OLD!

By Omar R, Wednesday, September 30, 2009, 6:00 AM | , , , | 0 comments »

“I wanted permission to seek a trade… I don’t want to be here if I’m not going to play… I’ve been in the league too long to be sitting around… it doesn’t make any sense why I stuck my neck out, broke my wrist trying to make a tackle, and now I don’t have a job. It just doesn’t make any sense to me.” – BC Lions Kicker Paul McCallum in an interview on the Team 1040 radio station.

Over the weekend, 39 year old BC Lions kicker, Paul McCallum, asked GM/Head Coach Wally Buono for “permission to seek a trade,” after losing the starting job to 24 year old Sean Whyte, because of an injury which he has subsequently recovered from. On the Richter Scale of sporting news, this does not even register as a tremor; yet, I find it entertaining. How does someone ask for permission to seek a trade? The following gives us an idea of the conversation between player and coach:

Paul McCallum: Coach, am I going to get a chance to play again?

Wally Buono: Paul, you’re getting old. He’s the future. We have to move on as a team.

PM: OK fine, but if you're not going to let me play here, can you trade me?

WB: Trade? Nah.

PM: What?! But why not?

WB: Paul, you’re a kicker. And you’re 39 years old. What can I possibly get in return for you? I’d be lucky if someone gave me a used pair of cleats and a jock strap. I have a game to prepare for next week. I don’t have time to waste on this crap.

PM: Geez coach, can you at least give me permission to seek a trade then?

WB: Wait, you want to trade yourself? That’s unprecedented... but it sounds good to me! Ok, I’ll see you later Paul!

0 comments

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share