One day after winning his 14th Grand Slam title at the French Open, Roger Federer was asked by Dick Enberg, “How has Rafa (Rafael Nadal) helped you to be better?”

Federer replied, “I don’t know how much. I think with our rivalry, he is a left hander and I am a right hander, whereas with Pete and Andre, they were both righties… But I think I have actually helped the other players more than they have helped me because I have put tennis in a different league, you know, in a different level… they had to play catch-up and that made them maybe work even harder to become better players and better athletes.”

Ever since losing his #1 ranking to Nadal after Wimbledon last year, Federer has shown a lot of bitterness towards his rival, and this complete disregard of the Spaniard’s talent is another example. Federer is claiming that his lack of success against Rafa is due to the hand in which Nadal holds his racquet. Surely credit should be given to the Nadal’s mental toughness – his ability to play his best when everything is on the line. It is a trait necessary to be a champion, as Federer well knows, and it would be nice if he could acknowledge it in others. And what about Nadal’s superior fitness and speed? Does it deserve no mention?

Federer is always very quick to compliment himself, attributing the successes of others to his own game in the above quote. Considering that his one win at the French Open came against a weak set of opponents, perhaps he should show some restraint with the self praise.

When it comes to handling success and praise, Federer should look no further than the consummate professional, Tiger Woods.

When asked about his competition, Tiger has said, “These guys are the best in the world. I’m very lucky to have that opportunity to try to compete against the best in the world. That’s a rush.”

And on his presence, “I don’t even know if I have an aura, man. I just try to win.”

That is how a champion should carry himself.

0 comments

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share