So often we hear that Roger Federer is a wonderful ambassador for the sport of tennis, a wonderful role model. But, I ask you, besides being the best tennis player in the world, would you be happy if your son grew up to be like him? Here are some exhibits of his character, you can make up your own mind:


A Humble Winner?

Every time Federer wins a Grand Slam tournament, he falls to the ground crying as if he's been shot, as his opponent awaits him patiently at the net, watching the show.







Gracious in Defeat?


Upon losing the 2009 Australian Open to Rafael Nadal, Federer cries as he watches the trophy being handed over to the champion. For a man who’s had so much success, you’d think he could allow someone else to enjoy his moment.


Modesty?

When Federer finally won his first French Open in 2009, this was his answer upon being asked how Nadal has made him a better player:

"I don’t know how much... but I think I have actually helped the other players more than they have helped me because I have put tennis in a different league."

So much for admitting one's shortcomings and acknowledging greatness in others. All I know is that my household will be a Federer free zone. I don't want my children growing up with a sobbing wreck of an idol.

2 comments

  1. Jalaljan // June 26, 2009 at 9:21 AM  

    Way unfair - Fed is gracious 99% of the time but you selectively hear and store away the rare times when he is not gracious.

    And crying... guess who cried after the Wimbledon 2007 final?

    Quoted from the Australian Herald Sun:

    "The Spaniard's low point came about 7.30pm on July 8 in the wood-panelled All England Club locker room.

    It was the moment Nadal was driven to tears amid the realisation the Wimbledon title and the season-ending No. 1 ranking had slipped through his hands.

    As usual, there was no public sign of Nadal's angst.

    "When I arrived to the locker room, I sat down and, as it's normal after losing the final of the tournament that you dream of winning, against the (world) No. 1 and with lots of chances, I started to cry of anger, of sadness," Nadal said.

    "It's been the only match of the year that I've cried and one of the few in my career.

    "It was a really close match. I was 20 or 25 minutes there (crying). When people started arriving, I sat down inside the tub. They were cheering me up.

    "I thanked them and I asked for being alone. I don't like people witnessing me crying." "

  2. Unknown // June 26, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

    Totally unfair. Don't let your man crush on Nadal get in the way of the truth. Next you'll be telling Gretzky wasn't the best player ever only because he cried when he got traded or b/c he's a hot-head behind the bench. Or that messier isn't as great a leader as advertised because he helped to dismantle the canucks. Actually, that's true. Also liked how you slipped in the line "Besides being the best tennis player" as if that's not a significant point.

    GO Roger! The best ever!

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share