I am a born and bred Canadian from Vancouver, BC. I love my hockey, it is a part of me. I’ve been raised watching the B.C. Lions and Vancouver Canucks, and I’m a die hard fan, no matter who’s on the rosters and how little success they have. So why the hell should I care about the NFL – the south of the border football league?

I guess it’s the same reason I love watching golf, tennis or even basketball, the personalities and the storylines. Tiger Woods against Phil Mickleson, Roger Federer versus Rafael Nadal – when they play, I watch, in the hopes that I may witness that rare unforgettable sports moment.

I am not in an NFL Fantasy Pool, so I’m not personally invested in any of the individual or team results, yet every year there are story lines that make me want to sit down and watch. Two years ago, after head coach, Bill Belichick, was caught and reprimanded for cheating – spying on other teams practices – his New England Patriots, led by quarterback Tom Brady, attempted to complete a perfect 19-0 season, with zero losses and a Superbowl championship. Every week, as they inched closer to the goal, the drama heightened and more and more tuned in. That same season, Brett Favre was playing in what everyone presumed would be his last season following an amazing career, and he was having a renaissance with the team, finally producing a winning season after a long down cycle. Favre’s apparent last games as a pro football player were watched by all, as he took the 13-3 Packers to the NFC Championship against the eventual Superbowl Winners – the New York Giants.

As another season is almost set to begin, the NFL has produced more storylines than ever. Favre comes out of retirement for the second time in two years to play for the Minnesota Vikings, allowing him to face his former Green Bay Packers for two revenge filled matches. Chad Ocho-Cinco (he officially changed his name from Chad Johnson last year) has demanded a trade for 2 years from the Cincinatti Bengals, and yet the loudest trash talker in sports is set to return to the team. Terrell Owens will be given yet another chance to be a good teammate for the Buffalo Bills, after three failed attempts with former squads. And of course Michael Vick, he who funded an illegal dog-fighting chain and allegedly participated in the torture and killing of many of the animals, is returning to play for the Philadelphia Eagles. Drama like this can’t be found anywhere else on television, not on Big Brother, Gossip Girl, or even The Hills!

But I am Canadian and I care not for the NFL. I will only watch about 8 hours of that crap every week.

1 comments

  1. Mariam Aly Khan // September 9, 2009 at 9:49 AM  

    the NFL is just so damn good. it just is! football season starting soon!

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share